Tuesday, November 4, 2014

My Black and White Affair: A Wedding Planned in 3 months - THE WEDDING BUDGET

Disclaimer: I am not a  wedding coordinator nor a wedding supplier. I am now paid to do advertise or promote anything here. Everything's based on experience, my headaches and joys as I prepare the my wedding. Enjoy reading and feel free to comment :) 


It was July 2014 when my husband and I told my father that we are going to get married. When my father asked the date, we told him we wanted to get married on August 2014. Being conservative to the core, I think my father blacked out when he heard that. 

To make the long story short, we decided to move our wedding date to Oct. 11, 2014. I was so freaking confident that I can coordinate, prepare, and organize everything for the wedding. 

Take note: I had a full-time job (which requires me to go to the office early and leave late).
I even told my hubby that I will take care of this and that, do some DIY (do-it-yourself) stuff and coordinate with everyone who will be attending the wedding.

Did it work out well? Hmmmm.. Actually it did work out well but honestly, my dear brides-to-be, you will be needing a lot of help. It was not easy! 

Not easy, BUT it's possible. :

I have learned a lot with that  3 months of preparation. There were some things that I wish I could have done and things I wish I didn't do. Let me share some of the stuff that I have learned. Let's start with the WEDDING BUDGET


http://www.inkedweddings.com/stress-free-wedding-planning-say-i-wont-before-i-do/wedding-budget-planning/





LESSON #1 KNOW YOUR BUDGET
Setting your wedding budget is the FIRST thing a soon-to-be married couple needs to settle. Also, having a budget will save you from arguments and disappointments as you prepare for your wedding. Talk about it with your fiance. Ask yourselves, "How much do we have to spend for the whole wedding?" 

Here in the Philippines, the common tradition is for the groom and the groom's family  to pay all the wedding expenses. That's good news to brides out there but c'mon! You have to be realistic, girl! Unless you will be married to a billionaire, the bride (and the bride's family) will have to share the expenses. I'm just being practical here. :) 


Check your savings and determine how much you will have to spend on your wedding. Try to check out if any of your family members would like to share with the expenses and how much would they be willing to share. 

http://www.handbag.com/day-bag/advice/a459488/top-10-ways-to-beat-your-wedding-budget-and-save-money.html


LESSON #2 STICK TO YOUR BUDGET
This is honestly the MOST DIFFICULT part that I encountered while I was preparing for our wedding. These were the factors why I had a hard time sticking to our budget.

a. I came from a big family. Aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, and I guess everyone in the family tree were considered family. Not to mention my parents' childhood friends. Plus the family neighbors and friends. As the wedding date moves closer, our wedding guest list became longer and longer. 

The Fix: Make your wedding an RSVP event. Politely inform your guests about this. In my case, I made a separate RSVP card and gave it together with the invitation. Two weeks before the wedding, I called and sent SMS to the guests to confirm their attendance. 

It's also helpful to include in your wedding invitation the number of seats that you have reserved for your guest. I also informed the visitors that the wedding is an "adult-only" event. 

Our RSVP card


b.  I bought so many things, materials, cloth, etc BEFORE planning what to do with them. 

The FIX: Plan first before you buy. 


c. I wanted to do so many things for the wedding. Unfortunately, it cost me a lot - literally. 

The FIX: Make a checklist and prioritize.   Sit down with your fiance and make a list of the things you have to buy and do. After making the list, prioritize. It will help if you will arrange your list into three groups: MUST-HAVE, NICE-TO-HAVE, and OPTIONAL. 


d. I didn't track down all our expenses. 

The FIX: Always bring a notebook and a pen. Every time you will buy something for your wedding, list it down. It will help you check if you are already overspending or not. 


LESSON #3 - LOOK FOR A GOOD SUPPLIER. 

And when I say 'good', I am talking about suppliers who can give you what you need at a cheaper price without compromising the quality

Take note that most of these 'good' suppliers are not found on the first page of Google. You have to dig more. Utilize the ability of the internet to search for those 'good' suppliers.
Call them or email them (TIP: suppliers reply fast when you call).  

Compare prices. There are a lot of wedding suppliers out there. Choose the best one and remember to stick to your budget.  

I am proud to say that I saved a lot because of looking for 'good' suppliers. I will be writing a separate blog entry for my wedding suppliers together with reviews. :) 


http://www.kasal.com/philippine-wedding/Wedding-Favors-Souvenirs/Knotville-Favors/L14928




There you go. Remember that there is nothing bad in spending for your special day. Just make sure that you are also financially A-Okay after the wedding. :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment