Tuesday, May 26, 2015

REVIEW: CHARAPTOR - San Antonio Village, Makati

Last week, my husband and I decided to eat at Charaptor. We got so excited the moment we saw their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/CharaptorBBQ). 

My husband and I love eating, lalo na kapag EAT-ALL-YOU-CAN. The only eat-all-you-can buffets that we love are Sambokojin and Tong Yang. [We haven't tried Vikings and Niu by Vikings yet, but we will soon attack those places!] 

What made us excited to eat there is that Charaptor boasts its eat-all-you-can, grill-your-own barbecue. My husband told me that charcoal grilled food tastes better than the food cooked on a smokeless grill. Honestly, hindi ko alam na may pinag-kaiba pala. 




We decided to go to the Charaptor branch in San Antonio Village, Makati. The problem was we didn't know how to commute from our place to San Antonio Village. Mall of Asia is not an option for us because it's quite far! 




http://www.clker.com/clipart-confused-panda.html


Fortunately, we were able to to find a way how to get there. The exact address of Charaptor in Makati is 9752 Kamagong Corner Aranga Street, San Antonio, Makati City.

So here's what we did: 
1. From our place, we rode an FX going to AYALA. 
2. We got off at Ayala Avenue and asked a traffic enforcer how to get to Gil Puyat Intersection. He told us to ride a jeepney. I was so glad that the jeepney driver was very accommodating and he dropped us at Kamagong Street
3. Kamagong Street is a one-way street. There were tricycle drivers in the area but we decided to walk instead thinking Charaptor was very, very near. 
4. Lucky us, we walked for 10-15 minutes (I guess) looking for Aranga Street. 
5. After a few minutes of walking, we finally got to Charaptor. 

It was 4:45pm when we got there and I was expecting to be seated right away but to my surprise, we had to wait before they open at 5pm. I didn't know that they serve dinner at 5pm! 

Amazing. 

So we waited. 


While waiting, I was able to take some photos from the outside. 


Feeling ko nasa kulungan ako. 


They were just fixing the place when we arrived. I could see the buffet table from where I was standing. My first thought was that it was too small for an eat-all-you-can buffet. 


At around 5:15, we already got out seats. It was a bit hot and humid that afternoon. Mas okay sana kung gabi kami pumunta, mas malamig nang konti. There were only 5 tables occupied that time. 



There are seats upstairs which is good for large groups. 



And there are seats outside too. 



My husband attacked the buffet table to check out the things that we would be grilling. Note to myself: Never go to a non-aircon restaurant, lalo kung ihawan, when the temperature's hot and the weather's humid. 



Good thing was their drinks are unlimited. Sadly, only water and juices are unlimited. Beer and sodas are sold separately. 

They had water, orange juice, iced tea, pineapple juice, lemonade and a blue Nestea drink. (I forgot what it's called but it's my favorite). 



And this is what we were after - a charcoal grill for our food. :) 




They do have a huge selection of barbecue sauce to choose from. 


And of course, how could I forget the mandatory selfie :) 


So how about the food??????
Here's what my husband got for our first round: 



Pork kebab (yeah.. they call it a 'kebab' minus the bell pepper and the onion), longganisa, hotdog (hindi pwedeng mawala ito), fish (I don't know what kind) and beef teriyaki. 



And now it was my turn to go to the buffet table. They do have the following: 
1. Chicken - drumsticks, breast, and chicken kebab
2. Fish - strips of fish
3. Beef - the beef teriyaki strips
4. Seafood - shrimps and strips of squid
5. Pork - marinated pork rib (pork rib literally sliced as a piece or rib), pork kebab
6. They also have cooked appetizers: fried siomai, chicharon, french fries, and cheese sticks. 
7. Sauces - a lot of sauces. 
8. And yeah.. they have noodles too. 

*I am so sorry I wasn't able to take a photo of the whole buffet, I totally forgot because it was so hot and all I wanted was to seat and eat. 

Everything was bite-sized which I think is not that good for the hot charcoal grill. Since everything was bite-sized, they all burn fast!! And the thongs were too big. 


And here's the part were I can get to talk about the experience. 

1. The food ain't that bad but it ain't that good either, baby. (Parang lyrics lang sa kanta, ah). Though there are different kind of sauces to choose from, the food just tastes so-so. I guess that the meat and other stuff were not marinated well that's why they all tasted the same. 

2. I don't if I expected too much but I think the food was so bite-sized that it burns on the charcoal grill. I was expecting a lot of variety like slabs of pork, huge chicken thighs, whole fish, street food stuff like betamax, helmet, adidas, chicken gizzard, liver, and pig skin. The buffet lacks variety. 
The shrimps were too small to grill. The squid were like the frozen, square-sliced squids we see in the supermarket,  

For PhP 490, I think something's missing with the menu. 

(Note: Tong Yang is priced at PhP 585, just a 95 peso difference.)

3. I love the drinks though. 

4. No deserts!! Not even a single cookie or candy! 

5. Their restroom was clean. (Maybe because there were only few people when we came). There were tissue papers and soap. I like it when restaurants keep their restrooms clean. 

7. NO Aircon. Ang init! Paypay dito, paypay doon. It's understandable because it's a charcoal grill restaurant but it was really hot when we went there and it was very uncomfortable when your sweating while eating.  The exhaust were not helping with the heat. 


If you enjoy the thrill of grilling, unlimited grilling on your own table, this place is for you. 

But if your palate is looking for something good and tasty, I suggest that you go to Tong Yang. Add a bit on your budget and you can try Sambokojin for PhP 749. 


Will I come back? Maybe to let my brothers and sisters and dad try grilling (just for the thrill of it). 


Will my husband and I come back? Nope. PhP 490 is too expensive for the whole experience that we had. There are better grill buffet that serves better tasting food. :) :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment