Saturday, July 18, 2015

Random Thoughts: Looking for a Job.

It has been a month and three weeks since I resigned from my work. One month and three weeks of not working and just staying at home. Sarap buhay (*big smile*). 

I must admit that I am somehow quite enjoying it. I can sleep and get up whenever I want. I watch my favorite shows, read books, and surf the internet anytime. But most of the time I sleep (12-13 hours a day). 
Well, I still do a some household chores but after doing them, I end up doing nothing. Sarap buhay talaga (*smile ulit*). 

But after some time, I realized that things are getting a little boring here inside the house. Besides, when your bills start to pile up and you can't buy things you want (and need) anymore, you need to get a job, girl! 




Job Hunting: Throwback four years ago.
The last time I looked for a job was four years ago. The first company that I went to was okay. I passed the exam, I did well on the initial interview and I amazingly impressed the Korean client. Easy! And everything was done in one day. 

I was already scheduled for a training. The HR staff gave me a brief orientation about the salary, training, and other things about the company. The first thing he explained was the salary. The salary that the company was offering me was way too low for me. Like really low. Hindi sapat para sa pamasahe, baon, isang venti na kape sa Starbucks per month at share ko sa baon nang mga kapatid ko and gastos sa bahay. Sakit sa anit. 

Inindyan ko yung training. I didn't attend nor did I give any messages that I am withdrawing my application. <---- Huwag tularan. 


The weird thing is that nag-apply ako sa katabing company. As in 10 steps away lang from the office kung saan in-indyan ko yung training.  I remember being interviewed by a Korean. Maning-mani lang sa akin ang mainterview nang Koreans. I've worked with Koreans ever since so malakas ang loob nang lola niyo na magkakatrabaho siya agad (confident). 36 hours later, I got the job (*yehey!*). 


Job Hunting: The Resume.  




Fast forward. After four years, here I am. Browsing Jobstreet, printing resumes, checking my email and cell phone for any messages from different companies. 

First thing I did was to fix my resume. I have already been fixing my resume from the time I told my boss that I would resign. 

I hate making resumes. First, the trends in making resumes are constantly changing. Dati, padamihan nang pages sa resume. Ngayon, 1-2 pages okay na. Before, kelangan may "objective" ang resume pero ngayon "summary of qualifications" na lang. I don't know whether to put a cover page or not. Is it still acceptable to put your photo on the resume? What font should I use? Times New Roman or Calibri? Double space ba or single space?Ewan ko. 

But one thing that makes me dread making a resume is I am not that confident. The job that I want is not even relevant to my college degree (I am a licensed nurse, by the way). I always wanted to leave my degree off my resume pero hindi pwede. I am afraid that my potential employer would prefer someone whose college degree is related to the job. 

Pero I wanted that job. I still have to try. Kung piliin man yung applicant na graduate nang ganito-ganyan at may master's degree sa eklavoo, at least I tried. Masakit pero at least I tried. 

Konting Tip: Try to browse the internet and look for updated trends in writing a resume but huwag basta basta mag-COPY-PASTE nang mga resume. Employers know if you got those sentences from the internet. The more stuff you put in your resume, the more questions they will ask during your interview. Check your grammar.  Be honest. 



Job Hunting: The Exams. 




Some companies require applicants to take an exam. Minsan may essay pa nga. Akala ko pag-graduate ko, wala nang exam. Nagkamali ako. 

The last time I took those kind of exam was 8 years ago when I was applying for a call center job. 

I recently took a job employment exam and to be honest, it was so difficult (for me). There were three of us taking the test and I guess the three of us were applying for the same position. The HR staff gave us 1 hour and 30 minutes to finish the exam (parang board exam lang!). After 20 minutes, I have decided na magpaubaya at ibigay na lang ang pagkakataon na ito sa dalawang applicant na nag-eexam. I did well on the vocabulary and grammar part (I guess!). But the rest? Never mind. 


There was this abstract test similar to this one. I know some but I suddenly felt dizzy after looking at a lot of shapes. 
http://www.psychometricinstitute.com.au/what_to_expect_in_your_abstract_aptitude_test.html


And of course there's MATH! 
http://www.psychometricinstitute.com.au/pre_employment_testing_practice.html

A job application exam won't be complete without a personality test. That's the easiest part. 

Konting Tip: None. I didn't pass that exam so there's nothing I could give you. You're on your own, dude. 


 Job Hunting: The Interview.  

Kapag job interviews, I'm very much confident if I am going to be interviewed by a Korean. Working with them for 8 years, I know what kind of questions they would ask and what kind of answers they want. And in my previous job, I was the one who interviewed potential employees. 

But this time it's going to be different. 

I already had 4 phone interviews and I really do not like phone interviews. Masyadong biglaan at intense!



I missed 2 phone interviews already because I woke up late. There was this one time I was "doing my thing" in the bathroom (I just took a very potent laxative the night before) and someone called and it was a phone interview! I had a phone interview inside the bathroom, sitting on our toilet bowl. Yes, sounds gross.  

Pero ang pinaka-nakakatakot is yung face to face interview. 

I was already interviewed for a dozen of times from the time I started sending my resume. These are not rants but these are the things that I experience whenever I am invited for an interview. 

1. Long waiting. Minsan mas matagal pa yung hinintay mo kesa sa interview sa iyo. I guess this is one of the things applicants have to deal with. There was this time na newbie pa ako sa pag-aapply and the interview was scheduled at 8am. Para hindi ma-late, I didn't have breakfast thinking that the interview will be done at around 10 or 11am. But NOOOOOO!
May exam pa pala and I had to wait for an hour or two bago mainterview. Imagine being interviewed while your stomach is growling. Hindi ako makapag-isip and I couldn't answer the interviewer well. So ang ending, I didn't get the job. 


2. Below freezing temperature. There are these offices that are too damn cold that you would forget you are in the Philippines. Ang lamig! Kulang na lang mag-lugaw ako sa para swak na sa weather sa loob nang office. I was just glad that there was this one company who told me to bring a jacket for my interview. I am so glad they did because when I went to their office, it was like a freezer inside that even the employees were wearing 3 layers of clothes. 

3. The questions. Like what I said, I was the one who asks questions to the potential employees but tables have been turned and I was the one who's in the hot seat this month. I have had several interviews already and these were the questions that I had trouble answering: 

a. Describe yourself. Pinaka mahirap sagutin. I have to sell myself for them to hire me at the same time I don't want to overdo it. Kung pwede lang sabihin na "Just hire me because I badly need a job!!!

b. Describe a difficult experience at work and how you handled it. Too many to mention, next question please. 

c.  Describe your career goals. I want to be hired and earn a lot of moooolah and be a millionaire and promote world peace. 

d. Are you a believer of giving perfect attendance incentive? Uhhm, yes? 

e. What can you contribute to this company? My everything as long as you hire me and I get my salary (rhyme!!!)

f. What is your greatest strength? How about weaknesses? Greatest strength: Being able to survive in my previous job. Greatest weakness: Math. 

g. Why should the company hire you? I need a job and I will do my best to get this job. 

h. Why did you leave your last job? The most difficult question. You want to be very honest yet not too much. The best answer? After working for ____ (insert number of years here), I think I have already gained exceptional knowledge of the industry.  I am now enthusiastic to apply my skills in a different organisation with new opportunities and challenges. -----> Pasok sa banga na sagot. 




Until now, these questions are really giving me a hard time in my job hunting. 

Konting Tip: Make sure you have a copy of your resume readily available when you get a call from your potential employer. Mas madaling makasagot sa mga questions if you have your resume with you. Always practice. Know what are the possible questions that the interviewer will ask and be prepared with your answers. Again, huwag abusihin ang internet. Do not memorize everything on the internet. Be honest.  


Job hunting: The 'WAITING PERIOD'. 

Interviewer: Alright, that's it for now. Thank you so much for the time. We will contact you again for another interview. Please wait for our call. 

I have heard these lines for a hundred times. I have also used this script in my previous job. I guess this is the most dreaded part for all applicants like me. Am I hired? Gusto ba nila ang business attire ko? Kelan kaya sila tatawag?

I feel sad whenever some employers or HR staff do not call back or just send a message to the applicants that they did not pass the exam or the interview. I think because it's known to most that if the employer or the HR staff does not call you after 3 -5 days, it means you're not hired or you failed whatever exam or interview you had. 

I've had my share of this experience. Nakakapraning maghintay! Especially if you have other pending applications. It's disappointing if you don't get the job but it's heart-breaking if you were expecting to get the job only to find out that you didn't make it. And you waited for a hundred years for the call! 




But I really do admire employers and HR staff who inform you that you didn't make the cut. I appreciate their effort to call you, email you, or send you a text message that:

Thank you for your time in applying for the said position. Unfortunately, we regret to inform you that you didn't pass the exam/interview. We are looking for someone who has _________________________(insert bonggang description about the person they are looking for). Thank you.

Masakit kapag una. I have been rejected a number of times. Maraming reasons. Most of the time is that the employers think I am not fit for the job and I totally respect their decision and of course I appreciate the time they have given me para ma-interview. 

Konting Tip: You can call the company to ask for a feedback about your application. If you still haven't received any call after 3-5 working days, it's totally okay to call them for an update. Send them a text message or call them in their HR department. Again, okay lang masaktan if hindi pumasa, huwag lang damdamin nang bongga. 



Job Hunting: #ATM 
(I just found out what ATM means in internet slang and I am glad to know that it means AT THE MOMENT. Still can't catch up with internet slang.) 


After all the exams, interviews, and waiting, I finally got a job. Medyo malaki rin ang nagastos ko para sa pamasahe at pagkain sa pag-aapply nang trabaho. I haven't started yet because I have to finish all documents and requirements (I'll be ranting about it in another blog entry) but I am already thankful for the company who gave their trust and hired me. 

These days, it's quite difficult to look for a job. Kahit may diploma ka, hihingan ka nang working experience. May working experience ka nga, babaratin ka naman sa sweldo. Maraming issues. 

I've learned a lot for the past few weeks and I am finally ready to face another challenge. I just pray that everything will be okay. 






No comments:

Post a Comment