Saturday, May 12, 2012

Random Thoughts: Goodbye Grolier :(

I am doing a research (as part of my part-time job). I have to do so many research that I had to stay in front of the computer for a long time and turn on the internet for the whole day. The deadline’s on Monday so I had to rush everything - researching,  reading, typing, editing, researching, reading, typing and editing (again and again).

On my right side is a huge maroon bookshelf which contained our ‘forgotten’ Grolier’s Encyclopedia. My mom bought that set of encyclopedia when we were in elementary. We needed that because our inconsiderate teacher gave us a lot of homework about ‘researching’ about facts on different countries (imagine, I was in grade 3 that time and what kind of teacher would let a 3rd grade student research about Hawaii or Czech republic or Zimbabwe).

For you guys living at this age, having a desktop pc / computer (or whatever you call it now) was a luxury during my elementary days.  Much more with having an internet connection. (I don’t even know if internet existed during that time.) 


While doing my research, I kinda felt sad for our good ‘ol Grolier Encyclopedia set. We have had a lot of good times and it had helped me a lot. When I was in highschool, we started to forget we had an encyclopedia. 

I am so sorry Grolier, the internet had killed you. But I would never trade you for Wikipedia. I would always remember how you helped me learn new things and how you told me facts I would never read in my 5th grade Science book. 

I would never forget how you endured my brothers’ and sisters’ improper handling. I would always remember the way my skin felt as I browse through your pages as my eyes open in amazement and satisfaction for learning something new. 

Though I may not open you as much as I do with my laptop, I would still rely on you as my major source of information rather than believing on what is said on Facebook. You may not be updated as Google, but I would always remember what you have thought me - always go back to the basics. 

Goodbye Grolier. 



No comments:

Post a Comment